This article is for information only and doesn't call for any action.
Using Essential Oils to Keep Skin Healthy
While acknowledging that my skin will change and IS changing as I age, there are some things I can do to help improve the process, or slow it down a bit---without going crazy and spending money I don't have. The best of these ways I've found is using essential oils effectively. Here is a list of my favorite essential oils for skin health and anti-aging and how to use them:
Helichrysum Essential Oil:
Yep. The same essential oil found in that line of French skin care product. Also called "Everlasting" and "Immortal Flower," it helps rejuvenate aging skin by increasing cell turnover. It's also incredibly soothing and healing. Helichrysum is clinically shown to help reduce age spots, scars, and wrinkles, too.
Here's how I use Helichrysum essential oil: I use one drop in my normal moisturizer every evening. It smells so good, and that one tiny drop really works!
One caveat about Helichrysum essential oil: It is expensive to purchase a good quality (and why would you want a poor quality oil?).
Frankincense Essential Oil:
This is my next favorite essential oil for the skin. Frankincense increases skin cell growth, improves elasticity, and reduces signs of aging (age spots). It improves the firmness of the skin on your hands and face, too.
Here's how I use Frankincense essential oil: I use a very high quality Frankincense from doTerra because I prefer to use it neat (without dilution) on the tops of my hands. I also use a drop in the morning and a drop in the evening in my moisturizer for my face. I've actually used it directly on my face and under my eyes, too, but I think it works really well when combined with a natural (or nearly natural) moisturizer.
Frankincense essential oil is not as pricey as Helichrysum essential oil, but it is still very expensive, in my opinion. It's worth it, though.
Lavender Essential Oil:
My third favorite essential oil for helping combat wrinkles is Lavender essential oil. It's not nearly as expensive as the first two oils, either! Just be sure, once again, you are buying a quality essential oil, without additives or chemicals.
Lavender contains a high level of anti-oxidants that nourish your skin and help fight free radicals that cause skin damage. It also soothes and helps perk up tired skin.
Another way lavender helps your skin is in a rather round-about way. Since it is proven to reduce emotional stress and anxiety, it helps keep you calm. When you are calm and happy, your skin will be happier, too---and be less likely to age more quickly than it should. Lavender also helps you sleep, which helps your skin as well.
How I use Lavender Essential Oil: Lavender is one of my favorite essential oils to add to my soaps. I can add a slightly greater amount because it's less expensive than the first two oils. Another way I use lavender is I rub it into my temples and around my hairline before I go to sleep at night.
Women are always looking for chasing away the unwanted wrinkles. Here are a few simple ways to slow down aging and reduce wrinkles:
- Coconut oil is extremely good for chasing away the wrinkles and keeping skin young and healthy. Break open a capsule of vitamin E into the coconut oil and massage gently every night. You will be happy to see the results within a fortnight.
- Castor oil is one of the best ways to reduce wrinkles. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice and break open a capsule of vitamin E in castor oil and massage the mixture to the affected areas. Castor oil also works wonders under the eyes.
- Nourishing cream made with avocado (one tablespoon), fresh cream (a few spoons), flax seeds (two tablespoons) and honey (one teaspoon) is a sure way to get a smooth, healthy and wrinkle-free skin. Those having wrinkles will also benefit as it will help in reducing the wrinkles. Avocados, rich in nutrients such as vitamins and healthy omega- 3 fats, will strengthen the skin and reduce the wrinkles. It will also keep the skin moist and supple. Flax seeds will also supply omega-3 fatty acids necessary for preventing wrinkles.
- Use almond oil under the eyes to reduce fine lines around the eyes.
- Egg white applied under the eyes tightens the skin and help reduce wrinkles under the eyes.